The Museum Trail is an approximately 3 mile multi-use trail connecting the Mississippi Farmers Market to the Mississippi Children’s Museum. The trail provides access to LeFleur's Bluff State Park, the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science, the Mississippi History Museum, and the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum. Nearly 2 miles of the trail is Jackson's first "rail trail" along the old GM&O line on the eastern border of the Belhaven and Belhaven Heights neighborhoods. The trail connects three parks, and provides safe passage across I-55 for pedestrians and non-motorized vehicles.
More About the Trail
- The trail begins as a multi-use path at the corner of Mississippi Street and Jefferson Street, behind the Two Mississippi Museums. It crosses High Street to Spengler Street (which turns to Madison Street) where a paved path begins and continues to Laurel Street in Belhaven. From here, users exit west onto Laurel Street before turning right on Myrtle Street (a shared-use residential street) to Riverside Drive. The trail will eventually include a multi-use path that runs alongside Museum Drive to the Mississippi Children’s Museum.
- Most users park in the former lot of Dave’s Triple B off High Street on the south end. On the north end, users park under I-55 on Laurel Street.
- There are several points of entry through Belhaven Heights and Belhaven, most notably among them, at Belhaven Heights Park, at Moody Street, and at Harding Street. Residents of the surrounding neighborhoods have asked that users not access the trail through their private yards.
- The trail is for foot and non-motorized traffic only. Think walkers, runners, cyclists, strollers and children’s scooters.
- The trail is not lit. There are no restroom facilities on the trail.
- The asphalt path is approximately 1.3 miles. The total trail when completed is said to be 2.5 miles.
- Wheelchair Accessible
- Family Friendly
Museum Trail Unveils State’s Longest Mural
The Gavin Bird painted mural spans 478 feet along the Museum Trail near Belhaven Heights Park.
Sporty & Active in JXN
Whether you are looking to tailgate before watching the game, get moving on the Museum Trail or even kayak the city’s water ways, the City With Soul offers active adventures on land…