Family Day in the City With Soul
Kids in tow? These family-favorite spots are sure to please.
From West Jackson to Fondren North, load up the crew with an appetite for flavor and fun.
"Our picky little ones always have the best time if any of these spots are on the agenda." Lexie, Mom from Vicksburg
FIVE SPOTS FOR FOOD AND FUN
The Jackson Zoo has one of the finest collections of wild animals from throughout the world. It is located on 110 acres acquired by the city of Jackson from Samuel Livingston.
LeFleur’s Bluff Education and Tourism Complex
The southeast's largest playground, featuring a 21st century, 30,000-square-foot playground, separated into different play areas based on age, for children ages 6 months to 12 years old.
All structures on the playground promote physical activities - from providing greater freedom to run, jump, and climb, to supporting reduced stress levels.
• 80 play activities, 73 of which are inclusive to children with accessibility needs
• A custom We-Go Swing allows accessibility to children with and without wheelchairs
• The Wedra: a unique play structure for ages 6-23 months - which is the first play structure in the world with this design
• The Hedra® Tower: designed for children ages 5-12 - and is the fourth play structure in the country with this design
• Shade structures covering 75 percent of the playground: making the area below up to 30 degrees cooler for year-round outdoor play
• Spotter’s Adventure Trail (a museum walking trail) and The Den (an outdoor pavilion) are scheduled to open in early summer 2022.
• The 8-foot-wide Spotter’s Adventure Trail will be located east of the playground and will lead the way to conveniently visit both museums and the playground. The trail will feature a fun and interactive outdoor experience with Spotter the Otter and friends.
Regular Hours: M-F: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Sat: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., and Sun: 1 p.m. - 5 p.m. The playground will be closed on New Year's Day, Easter, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Friday after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve
Museums: Regular museum admission applies at both the MS Children's Museum and MS Museum of Natural Science
Brent’s Drugs and Soda Fountain
Brent’s style makes it an excellent fit for the historic Fondren District. It’s a fun and comfortable place to take out-of-town visitors. But underneath all the chrome and color, Brent’s Drugs is a neighborhood diner.
Being independent anything is tough.
Ask a singer, artist, writer or retailer: without large-scale backing, there are places you want to go — but must fight for… claw for, every step in the journey.
The independent book business? Let no one tell that is easy.
“We’ve been going sideways for years,” said John Evans, owner of the now 45-year-old Jackson indie bookstore, Lemuria Books in Banner Hall. “We’ve tried a lot of different ways to make the business grow but there’s so much pure competitiveness out there.”
In light of the behemoth online prowess of national brands, book stores like Lemuria are trying to set themselves apart.
“We’re a destination book store,” Evans said. “We always have been. I think we are winning the existence battle, the contributing battle. And we’re doing a lot to do that.”
More than thirty years of traditional handmade candies, Nandy's Candy offers hand-dipped chocolate covered strawberries, caramel covered popcorn, pralines, divinity, and much more.