Founded in 1902, the Mississippi Department of Archives and History is the second-oldest state department of archives and history in the United States. Through a joint-venture of Eley Associates Architects, CDFL, and Dale Partners (ECD), the William F. Winter Archives and History Building was designed to become the home of the state archival collection, associated staff and the administrating staff for the Department of Archives and History.
The structure is built into an existing bluff in Jackson, Mississippi’s downtown area next to three prominent structures – the War Memorial Building, the Mississippi Old Capitol Building, and the Charlotte Capers Building. The simplified Art Deco limestone exterior blends with its historic neighbors with an aura of dignified gravitas.
Public access is accommodated on the street-grade third floor, with the public library and reading rooms located directly off the lobby of the building’s main entrance. Patrons may utilize the reference librarian’s desk, the microfilm reading room, and the spacious archival reading room where each table is equipped with electrical and computer outlets to accommodate laptop computer users.
- Wheelchair Accessible
- Tours Available
Winter Lobby and Front Porch