The National Park Service's Natchez Trace is an historic route travelled by early Indian tribes, pioneer settlers, colonial troops, and traders. At milepost 92 - at US Highway 49/Medgar Evers Boulevard, exit the Trace to visit the City With Soul.
Just East, at Milepost 93
To improve communication to the Old Southwest, the Natchez Trace was declared a post road in 1800. Afterwards, with Choctaw permission, improvements to this section of the Old Trace began. In 1805, the Choctaw allowed inns, known as stands to be built along the route to provide basic food and shelter to travelers. By 1811, Noble Osburn opened a stand near this spot. He was known to treat equally his Choctaw neighbors and American travelers.
In 1821 at LeFleur’s Bluff along the Pearl River, the city of Jackson was founded and a year later became the state capital. As a result, the postal route shifted slightly east from here to go through the new capital leading to the demise of the stands along this section of the Old Natchez Trace - Photo and text: Natchez Trace Parkway
There are no commercial vehicles or semi-trucks allowed on The Parkway.
- Family Friendly