In 1875 most of Belhaven Heights was originally known as Moody Estate. A block of land was sold to Col. James S. Hamilton, who constructed a new home and named it Belhaven in honor of his ancestral home in Scotland. Greater Belhaven as it is known today, began as one of the original ring neighborhoods springing from downtown Jackson in the early 20th century.
The Belhaven neighborhood developed north of the city as Jackson's first suburb. Composed of more than 1,300 historic structures dating from as early as 1904, Belhaven is Mississippi's largest historic district. The neighborhood includes a wide variety of building styles with a mixture of commercial and residential developments, as well as religious and educational institutions. The Belhaven Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
- Family Friendly
- Good for Groups